Oh berry pie – how I love you. Really this is more like a cobbler only in pie shape but either way it is still delicious, whatever you want to call it. This is a perfect spring/summer dessert while the berries are fresh in season. I usually freeze some berries thought out the year so I can have desserts like this year round. I don’t add a lot of sweetener to my berries as we like them a little tart. Feel free to sweeten it up some more if you’d like but I really don’t think you’ll need to. Serve this with some homemade vanilla ice cream and you’ll be set! Notice how small my pies are?? I recently purchased a mini pie baking pan that bakes 4 individual pies at a time – they are so cute and customizable! This recipe makes 8 mini pies or one regular pie.
2 pie crust pieces (Use my GF version found here!) one for the top and one for the bottom
2 cups fresh mixed berries (I used raspberry, blackberry and blueberry)
1/4 cup fruit juice (I used a little of the berry juice but add apple if your berries aren’t very juicy)
¼ cup tapioca starch
¼ cup coconut sugar
1 recipe eggwash (1 egg, beaten, plus 1 Tbsp water or milk)
Coconut sugar for sprinkling over top
- Place one pie crust in bottom of a glass pie plate.
- In a large bowl, combine berries, juice, starch and sugar. Gently stir until combined taking care not to smash the berries.
- Pour berry mixture into pie crust. Top with the second pie crust in any design you’d like (lattice, shapes, plain, etc). If you don’t use a pattern, make sure to cut slits in the top crust to allow venting during baking.
- Brush egg was over sides and top of pie. Pinch together sides to seal the berries in. Sprinkle top of pie with additional sugar.
- Bake at 400°F for about 35-40 minutes or until edges start to brown and fruit is bubbly. If edges are browning too quickly, cover with foil during baking. Let cool about 10 minutes before serving.