4 cups of roasted tomatoes (see tip below) or two cans of tomatoes
1 cup carrots, steamed
½ cup vegetable broth
1 Tbsp fresh basil, chopped
1 tsp garlic, minced
Shredded cheese, optional
Fresh basil, for topping, optional
3 slices of GF bread
- In a large stockpot, combine tomatoes, carrots, broth, basil and garlic. Bring to a boil and cook for about 10 minutes.
- Using an immersion blender, blend soup until smooth.
- Ladle into bowls and top with shredded cheese and basil if desired.
- While soup is cooking, spread a thin layer of butter on both sides of GF bread slices.
- Cut each bread slice into 4 strips. Sprinkle with garlic salt and parsley.
- In a skillet or on a griddle, cook both sides of toast strips until lightly browned. Serve toast strips with soup.
- To roast tomatoes: cut tomatoes (I prefer Roma tomatoes) unto halves or quarters. Place tomatoes cut side down on a baking sheet lined with foil. Sprinkle with sea salt and black pepper. Broil tomatoes at 500°F for about 15 minutes. If necessary, cover with foil to prevent splattering in the oven.