The middle kiddo is a picky one…. the pickiest I’ve ever seen. Sometimes I even let her decide what we are having for dinner – she’ll pick a favorite – and then decide she doesn’t want it. I’m not sure if it’s because she loves to make me crazy or the fact that she’s 6 going on 16. BUT the girl loves corn dogs. Sure, she prefers the fried ones on a stick but when I ran across this recipe from Taste of Home for Cheddar Corn Dog Muffins, I thought I’d give it a try. She LOVED them. Honestly, we all did. They were so easy, yet the taste was so similar to a corndog without all the frying and mess. This will definitely be on our meal rotation for little miss.
The only modifications I made to the recipe was using gluten-free corn muffin mix, dairy-free cheese and I used fresh jalapenos as we didn’t have pickled. So simple and delicious… also fun to eat! I’m thinking they’d be great for sleepover parties or quick dinners on busy weeknights!
Also – I was gifted this copper muffin pan and I LOVE it. I’m usually not much of a believer in non-stick anything but this one is working wonderfully so far! No need for muffin papers 🙂 You can find it on Amazon here.
- 1 package (8-1/2 ounces) corn bread/muffin mix
- 2/3 cup 2% milk
- 1 large egg, room temperature, lightly beaten
- 5 turkey hot dogs, sliced
- 1/2 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped pickled jalapeno, optional
- Preheat oven to 400°. Line nine muffin cups with foil liners or grease nine nonstick muffin cups.
- In a small bowl, combine muffin mix, milk and egg; stir in hot dogs, cheese and, if desired, jalapeno. Fill prepared cups three-fourths full.
- Bake until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, 14-18 minutes. Cool 5 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack. Serve warm. Refrigerate leftovers. Freeze option: Freeze cooled muffins in freezer containers. To use, microwave each muffin on high until heated through, 30-60 seconds.
1 muffin: 216 calories, 10g fat (4g saturated fat), 46mg cholesterol, 619mg sodium, 23g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 2g fiber), 8g protein.
Taste of Home Tuesday Reviews
Check out these other reviews of Taste of Home recipes:
- A.J. at The Lively Cook – Buttermilk Pancakes
- Jolene at Jolene’s Recipe Journal – Chocolate Glazed Brownies