Happy Tuesday friends! If you’ve followed me for very long, you’ll know that I LOVE Taste of Home magazine. I grew up reading it and continue to read the magazines, the cookbooks and enjoy the subscription boxes!
A few of my fellow VFE (volunteer field editors) put together a review of a Taste of Home recipe they want to try out – on Tuesdays – hence, “Taste of Home Tuesday”. I’m partaking this week with the following recipe! Be sure to check out the reviews of the other recipes below!
Chicken is our go-to meat for most days of the week. I am always looking for ways to change it up so we don’t get bored at dinner time. When I came across this recipe, it sounded so comforting and made me think of my mom’s Chicken & Noodles – my comfort food favorite.
This recipe does take a little time – not too much – but it really makes for a great tasting meal. Perfect for family dinners or guests! The rich and creamy sauce keeps the chicken moist and adds so much flavor. We really enjoyed the vegetables with it too. This will definitely make it into our meal planning rotation!
(From Taste of Home)
- 1/2 pound pearl onions
- 1 cup thinly sliced onion
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced carrot
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced celery
- 1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons butter, divided
- 6 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (4 ounces each)
- 1 cup chardonnay or other dry white wine or reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1-1/3 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/8 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup fat-free evaporated milk
- 1/2 pound fresh mushrooms, quartered
- In a Dutch oven or large kettle, bring 6 cups water to a boil. Add pearl onions; boil for 3 minutes. Drain and rinse in cold water; peel and set aside. In the same pan, saute sliced onion, carrot and celery in 1 tablespoon butter until tender. Remove vegetables; set aside.
- Add chicken to pan; brown on both sides. Remove and keep warm. Add wine; simmer until reduced to 1/2 cup. Stir in broth and seasonings. Return chicken to pan; cover and simmer for 5 minutes or until juices run clear. Remove chicken to a serving platter; keep warm.
- Combine flour and milk until smooth; gradually stir into pan. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Return vegetables to pan. Remove from the heat; cover and set aside.
- In a nonstick skillet, saute pearl onions in remaining butter until tender. Remove and set aside. In the same pan, saute mushrooms until tender. Add the onions and mushrooms to serving platter. Discard bay leaf from sauce; spoon over chicken and vegetables
My personal notes: I substituted dairy-free butter and milk. I also substituted gluten-free flour to fit our allergy needs. I served this with some air-fryer potato wedges and roasted green beans.
Check out some other reviews from my ToH friends!