I ran across this Taste of Home recipe in an older magazine but immediately was intrigued. A chili with cocoa and cinnamon served over spaghetti?! I had to try it!
The mixture of spices work well together! I didn’t have spaghetti but tossed some cooked gluten-free penne pasta into the chli mixture instead. The flavors were great and it was very filling! The kids even loved it! Give this recipe a try!
Also – check out my friend at The Lively Cook for her review of Mamaw’s Strawberry Cake!
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 cup chopped sweet onion
- 1/4 cup chili powder
- 2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons baking cocoa
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 can (16 ounces) chili beans, undrained
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 medium tomato, chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
- Hot cooked spaghetti
- Optional toppings: oyster crackers, hot pepper sauce, chopped sweet onion and shredded cheddar cheese
- In a large skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the chili powder, cumin, cocoa, cinnamon, cayenne and salt.
- Transfer to a 4- or 5-qt. slow cooker. Stir in the chili beans, kidney beans, diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, tomato and jalapeno.
- Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or until heated through. Serve over spaghetti. Garnish with toppings of your choice.
Wear disposable gloves when cutting hot peppers; the oils can burn skin. Avoid touching your face.