We recently went on a went long vacation – which was amazing! However, we knew our garden would really go crazy while we were gone. Sure enough, we came home to zucchini about the size of our 15 month old! Seriously… the biggest zucchini I’ve ever seen.
SO, I’ve been on the lookout for some really tasty zucchini recipes and trying to create my own. I came across this recipe for Streuseled Zucchini Bundt Cake from Taste of Home. It’s amazingly delicious – one of the best zucchini recipes I’ve ever tasted! The cake itself is just lightly sweetened and super moist. It skims down on the sugars and fat which I love. It’s perfect as a dessert or even a nice breakfast treat! Just don’t skip that streusel in the cake – so good!
The only substitutions I made were for allergy purposes: I subbed in our favorite gluten-free flour blend (from Bob’s Red Mill) and dairy-free milk.
- 2 cups shredded zucchini, patted dry
- 1-1/3 cups fat-free plain yogurt
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 large egg whites, room temperature
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 4 teaspoons vanilla extract, divided
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon dry bread crumbs
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/3 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/3 cup raisins
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 3/4 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 2 to 3 teaspoons fat-free milk
- 1. In a large bowl, beat the zucchini, yogurt, sugar, egg whites, oil, egg and 3 teaspoons vanilla until well blended. In a small bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; gradually beat into zucchini mixture until blended.
- 2. Coat a 10-in. fluted tube pan with cooking spray; sprinkle with bread crumbs. Pour a third of the batter into pan. Combine the brown sugar, walnuts, raisins, cinnamon and allspice; sprinkle half over batter. Top with another third of the batter. Sprinkle with remaining brown sugar mixture; top with remaining batter.
- 3. Bake at 350° for 55-65 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely.
- 4. In a small bowl, combine confectioners’ sugar, remaining vanilla and enough milk to achieve desired consistency; drizzle over cake.
© 2019 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC