Before my health issues started, my husband, oldest son and I would walk to Daylight Donuts in town every Saturday morning for a quick donut treat. It was about a 1/2 mile from our house so a nice early morning walk! We all had our favorites but enjoyed trying different ones each week. Donuts aren’t something that I miss but my kids really love them. Making gluten-free donuts is a little labor intensive so I don’t make them often.
So when I ran across this recipe for Cinnamon Doughnut Muffins from Taste of Home, I knew I had to give them a try. Plus, they don’t require any yeast or time consuming steps! They were perfectly sweet and light – even being made with gluten-free flour! I used Bob’s Red Mill Gluten-Free 1:1 Flour and dairy-free ingredients with great success!
These muffins have a cinnamon-sugar coating on the top which is a perfect tough but the real winner for us with these was the jam filling! The kids were pleasantly surprised with the strawberry filling – kind of like those jelly-filled donuts we enjoyed so many years ago! They are already making suggestions for the next fillings I can use when we make these.
It’s also Taste of Home Tuesday – which means you can check out another recipe review from The Lively Cook for Tiramisu Cheesecake! yum!
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3/4 cups sugar
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 3/4 cup whole milk
- 10 teaspoons seedless strawberry or other jam
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- In a large bowl, combine flour, baking powder, salt, nutmeg and cinnamon. In a small bowl, combine sugar, oil, egg and milk; stir into dry ingredients just until moistened.
- Fill greased or paper-lined muffin cups half full; place 1 teaspoon jam on top. Cover jam with enough batter to fill muffin cups three-fourths full. Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Place melted butter in a small bowl; combine sugar and cinnamon in another bowl. Immediately after removing muffins from the oven, dip tops in butter, then in cinnamon sugar. Serve warm.