One of my favorite foods of summer is strawberries in season. I love being able to just throw together a quick dessert like these shortcakes to serve to surprise BBQ guests or even just us four. Either way, it’s one of my all time favorite summer treats! Plus, strawberries are typically available all year so this is another favorite for Valentine’s day! Makes about 10 servings
1 cup almond flour
2/3 cup arrowroot starch
1/3 cup coconut flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp sea salt
1/3 cup palm shortening, or butter
1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
1 tsp vanilla
1/4 cup honey
1/2 cup coconut milk
1 cup chilled coconut milk, full fat
1 Tbsp raw honey
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 cups freshly sliced strawberries
- In a mixing bowl, combine flours, arrowroot starch, baking powder and salt.
- Cut in shortening or butter until mixture is crumbly.
- Add in apple cider vinegar, honey and vanilla. Slowly pour in milk until mixture forms a dough ball.
- Form dough into 10 biscuits. Place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Bake at 375F for about 20 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool completely.
- Meanwhile, scoop out thick cream from coconut milk. Put cream into a mixing bowl.
- Reserve the coconut milk liquid for another use, such as smoothies, cereals, etc.
- Using the whisk attachment, whip coconut milk with raw honey and vanilla for about a minute or until smooth.
- Slice open biscuits if desired and place on a serving dishes. Add a dollop of coconut cream and strawberries.