STRAWBERRY FILLED VANILLA CUPCAKES
When I was little, I loved those little “Hostess Strawberry Rolls”. These cupcakes are not strawberry rolls, but better! Strawberry filled cupcakes. Light and perfect for summer. They are pretty easy to make too. Not to mention they are MUCH healthier than your typical strawberry rolls and gluten free! I mean, just look at them – delicious!
½ cup coconut flour
2 whole eggs
¾ cup egg white
½ tsp baking soda
1 tsp xanthan gum
½ cup stevia (or sugar)
1 Tbsp vanilla
1/2 cup almond milk
4 whole strawberries
¼ cup honey
1 Tbsp cornstarch (or tapioca starch)
- In a large bowl, mix together dry ingredients. Mix in eggs and egg whites, vanilla and almond milk.
- Blend together on medium speed for about a minute. Don’t worry if the batter looks runny – coconut flour absorbs a lot of liquid and batter should get thicker as you mix.
- Spoon batter into muffin pan with cupcake liners. Bake at 350°F for 25-30 minutes or until cupcakes are lightly brown and cooked through. Let cool for about 10 minutes.
- While cupcakes are baking, make strawberry filling. In a small blender (Magic Bullet), blend together honey, strawberries and cornstarch.
- In a small sauce pan, cook strawberry mixture until boiling. Remove from heat. Hollow out the center of the cupcake leaving just a small layer of cake on the bottom. I used a strawberry huller to remove the centers of my cupcakes and it worked great.
- Spoon in about a tsp or so of the filling into the cupcake. This recipe makes 12 filled cupcakes. If desired, top with whipped cream or your favorite frosting.