It’s not a secret that I love the slow-cooker. Honestly, I use mine ALL the time! However, never for breakfast. I was recently challenged by my Taste of Home Field Editor Manager to create some slow-cooker breakfast recipes… I had no desire. Here’s why:
My family gets up EARLY… every day. Weekdays, our alarm goes off between 5 & 5:30 depending on the day. Weekends, it goes off at 6… not that we need it to. Our really loud, obnoxious and heavy footed alarms – Mr. Lane and Princess Harper – are up no later than 6 am… and at 6 am, I want to check to make sure they are still breathing. When we wake up, we eat breakfast… ASAP. There’s no brunch, lazy breakfast days, etc. We get up, we eat, we start the day.
I love the slow-cooker but I didn’t like the idea of leaving it on over night for 8 hours. When I use it during the day, I only set it for 4 hours… and chances are I’m home or at least in and out. It’s never left unattended very long. Overnight, it would be longer. I was nervous.
I considered make a recipe that you started when you woke up and then ate 3-4 hours later…. but my hooligans wouldn’t have that…. they’d think it was breakfast for lunch.
SOOOOOO….. I caved and decided to make something overnight and have it ready when we woke up.
I’m kicking myself…. I should have done this sooner. Seriously, this turned out 1000 times better than I imagined. AND I learned something…. sometimes you just need to think a little harder and not be so apprehensive! P.S. my family inhaled this… and the kids hate pumpkin 🙂
The slow-cooker made cooking a breeze but even better, it really softened the muesli. Traditionally, our oatmeal type meals are still pretty grainy in the texture area—which is fine BUT we really liked the soft, mushy oats in this dish. It was SOFT but NOT runny. It was perfect.
Slow-Cooker Pumpkin Muesli
(makes about 6 servings)
- 1 cup muesli (*I used Bob’s Red Mill GF*)
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 2 cups milk (use almond, coconut, rice, etc)
- 1 Tbsp cinnamon
- Dash of salt
- 1/2 cup brown sugar or coconut sugar
- Dash of cloves
- Water (for water bath)
- Maple syrup (optional)
- In a 1.5 qt heat safe dish, combine muesli, pumpkin, milk, cinnamon, salt, cloves, sugar. Stir until combined.
- Place dish inside slow-cooker bowl. Pour water into base of slow-cooker, around the muesli dish, until about an inch from top of muesli dish.
- Cook over low heat for 8 hours. Carefully remove dish from slow-cooker and stir.
- Serve with a drizzle of maple syrup if desired.