An ideal day for me is spending most of the day in the kitchen cooking up a delicious meal for my family. Of course, it’s even better when my little helpers join in the fun with measuring, mixing or even cutting up fruits or veggies. That might be my ideal day but let’s face it… I rarely have the time I’d like to devote to making that perfect meal from scratch. I’m a busy mom, running a bakery and chasing two kiddos…. time isn’t always on my side.
That being said, one of the most important things I need to help me make my ‘ideal’ meal is simple and fast recipes – especially since school has started back up. Over time I’ve developed a lot of my own but I’m ALWAYS trying out new recipes and let’s face: I’m a cookbook hoarder (just ask my husband).
If you love simple, delicious and fast meals, you’ll love this new cookbook from Taste of Home!
The Taste of Home Simple & Delicious Cookbook is literally loaded with easy recipes for everyday meals. How many recipes? 1314!!!! Yes, One thousand three-hundred fourteen! As a ToH Volunteer Field Editor, I had the opportunity to get the book to preview before it goes on sale today.
I’ve literally made something out of it every day and they’ve all been huge hits! As you can see, I’ve flagged several dozen recipes to ‘try’ and I didn’t even get half-way through. I did a quick peek at all the sections and here’s what you’ll find with some examples:
- Snacks, Apps & Beverages: Antipasto Cups, Reuben Spread, and Raspberry-Lemon Spritzer
We made the spritzer and it was lovely. The ingredients were very simple: lemons, raspberries, club soda, sweetener, ice. We all declared that it was our new favorite drink to make at home!
- Finished in 15: Grilled Angel Food Cake with Strawberries, Avocado Bean Dip, Southwest Tortilla Scramble
- 30 Dinners in 30: Sesame Cilantro Shrimp, Pizza in a Bowl, Buffalo Sloppy Joes (we made this and they were PERFECT!)
- Oven Entrees: Pan-Roasted Chicken & Vegetables, Cranberry Cream Cheese French Toast, Honey & Spice Baked Chicken
This recipe was full of flavor and not too spicy for the kids. I did cut up our chicken into chunks to speed up the cooking process and let the sauce caramelize a bit more to our liking. Very simple and goes great with some sauteed vegetables and rice.
- Good Mornings: Sausage & Egg Pizza, Hazelnut Mocha Coffee, Blueberry Buttermilk Pancakes
Pancakes are not hard to make but this recipe was a little different than our traditional and it was good enough that I’ll start making them this way from now on. We needed these to be dairy free, so a quick substitute of almond milk plus a little lemon juice made these buttermilk pancakes perfect!
- Buy This, Make That: Grilled BBQ Meatball PIzza, Crispy Buffalo Chicken Wraps, Baked Lasagna Roll-Ups
- Make Ahead Magic: Banana Macadamia Nut (you know I’ll have to give these a try in the bakery!), Cajun Beef Casserole, Mojito Marinated Fruit
- Desserts in a Dash: Dark Chocolate Croissant Bread Pudding, Cherry Pie Chimis, Gingerbread and Pumpkin Trifle
- Holiday Highlights: Apricot-GIngersnap Ham, Marmalade Candied Carrots, Sausage Mac & Cheese in a Pumpkin
These are just a few of the chapters in the book and some of the recipes that caught my eye quickly. What I love most about this book is it is SO adaptable to fit whatever dietary needs you might have. For example, the recipes aren’t specifically gluten-free… but the book uses common ingredients with easy swaps (i.e: GF biscuits for traditional biscuits, GF pasta for regular pasta). Trust me, I have to avoid dozens of ingredients and I can still make these recipes with ease. Don’t let food allergies or intolerances get in the way of enjoying this great book.
Plus, these recipes are great for busy people! Whether you’ve been working, have afterschool sports and activities, church, etc…. there’s plenty of recipes that go together in a flash!
This is a nice, 3-ring bound, LARGE cookbook. Just like all the other Taste of Home books and magazines, it is beautifully put together with stunning photos. The book goes on sale today and can be purchased through Amazon at this link here or at Taste of Home webstore. Be watching for it in a store near you also!
Stay happy and healthy!
*Disclaimer: as a ToH Volunteer Food Editor, I received this book as a gift to preview. I was not required to write a positive review, just an honest review. As always, I only share my honest opinions about products and resources I personally use and that I would find useful to you.*