This meatloaf is one of the easiest I’ve made – because it uses the slow cooker! Honestly, the slow cooker is like my kitchen best friend. It makes cooking so much easier on busy days or days when I don’t want to use up the oven space. This version features 8 ounces of mushrooms giving it lots of flavor but also helping hold onto the moisture. It’s light, filling and very tasty! Serve along with some of your favorite mashed root vegetables or green beans for a full meal. Not only is it Paleo but it’s also Whole30 compliant if you use the proper ketchup! Makes about 6 servings
1 lb ground turkey (or beef)
8 oz finely diced portobello mushrooms
1 onion, finely diced
1 garlic clove, minced
1/4 cup coconut flour
2 Tbsp ground flax seed
2 Tbsp coconut oil, melted
1 tsp sea salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
1 tsp Italian seasonings
1/4 cup ketchup
1 tsp ground mustard
- In a large bowl, combine turkey, onion, mushrooms, flour, flax, oil, salt, pepper and Italian seasonings.
- Mix together until well blended and place mixture into a greased or lined slow cooker.
- TIP: place a few strips (about 2″ wide) of foil in your slow cooker so you can easily remove the meatloaf and clean up faster!
- Form the meat into a loaf. In a small bowl, mix together ketchup and mustard until smooth. Pour over loaf.
- Slow cook on low heat for about 6-7 hours or on high heat for 3-4 hours. Temperature needs to read 160F.
TIP: Make two loafs and store one in the freezer for later use! Simply thaw in the fridge overnight and reheat.