Lemonade and summer are like two best friends… they are perfect together! Who says you only have to drink lemonade? Why not turn it into a cupcake?! Lucky for you, I had that epiphany one day! These little cupcakes are light and fluffy with a sweet and flavorful raspberry frosting. As always, these are gluten free with a dairy free frosting option! Makes about 24 regular cupcakes
1/4 cup ghee, butter, or palm shortening (coconut oil can be used too)
1/4 cup applesauce
1/2 cup honey
1/2 cup coconut sugar or whole cane sugar
3 large eggs
2 lemons, juice and zest
1/2 tsp sea salt
3 tsp baking powder
2 cups gluten free flour blend(*see alternate)
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup almond milk (or coconut, cashew, rice, soy, etc)
Coconut Cream Frosting * see below*
- In a mixing bowl, cream together ghee, butter or shortening, applesauce, honey and coconut sugar. until smooth.
- Add in eggs, one at a time until smooth. Add in cinnaon, nutmeg, salt, baking powder and vanilla.
- Slowly add in flour and milk, alternating and beat until just combined. Fold in carrots and walnuts.
- Using an ice cream scoop, spoon batter into lined cupcake tins. Bake at 350F for about 20-25 minutes or until cooked through. Cool completely on wire racks before frosting.
- In a mixing bowl using the whisk attachment, whip together coconut milk, honey, vanilla, raspberries and 1 tsp arrowroot starch.
- Mix for several minutes or until completely smooth and whipped, adding more arrowroot starch (1/2 tsp at a time) if necessary to thicken.
- Spread frosting over cooled cupcakes or pipe using a pastry bag if desired. Store cupcakes in fridge or coconut frosting will melt. It will still taste great but it may not be as pretty!
*You can use traditional wheat flour in place of gluten free. Alternatively, you can use this Paleo Flour Blend for a grain free version. If using the Paleo blend, you may need to adjust your liquid amounts just slightly as coconut flour is very absorbent.