Where I’m from you can’t have a BBQ without potato salad. It’s like some unwritten rule from my mom or something. Seriously, her creamy potato salad was always a hit. She made hers from scratch and I would often help. I can still practically make the recipe from memory. What I do remember is the amount of dressing – that also included sugar, dairy and eggs. While delicious, some of the ingredients don’t fit our food lifestyle now SO it was top on the list to recreate! One problem….
I’m impatient and (somewhat) lazy when it comes to potatoes. They take too long to cook, then you have to cool the salad and wait…. No thanks. We all know I love my electric pressure cooker so I decided to give it a try with the potato salad. Honestly, I thought the potatoes would be too mushy or something but they turned out PERFECT! In just a few minutes the potatoes were cooked. Meanwhile, I made the dressing. Finally, combined it all and let it chill for a couple hours. It was delish but even better the next day after it had set overnight in the fridge! Plus – no added sugar, dairy or eggs!
- 2.5 lbs potatoes, diced
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 cup dairy-free mayonnaise
- 1/3 cup dairy-free sour cream or plain yogurt
- 1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 Tbsp dill weed
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/4 cup finely chopped celery
- 1 tsp garlic salt
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 2 Tbsp mustard
- Put water and diced potatoes in an electric pressure cooker. Seal the pressure cooker and ‘pressure cook’ on high for 4 minutes. Quick release the pressure. Carefully remove lid and drain potatoes in a colander.
- While potatoes are cooking, combine remaining ingredients in a bowl until well blended.
- In a large bowl, add potatoes and pour over dressing. Toss to combine. Refrigerate at least 1 hour before serving or overnight. Yield: serves 6
**Notes: I prefer to use unpeeled red potatoes. Simply wash the potatoes thoroughly with skin on and dice. You can also peel if you want or use another type of potato.**
**Ingredient Notes: I use Follow Your Heart brand of mayo – Vegenaise as it is dairy, egg, soy free. I also use Kite Hill or Forager brand of plain yogurt in place of sour cream. Use whatever brand you prefer!**