Spaghetti or lasagna type dishes is our ultimate comfort food. It’s always that go-to food that ‘hits the spot’. In fact, those were my husband’s first words when tasting this dish. In place of gluten or grain filled pasta, I used spaghetti squash. It’s very low-carb, healthy and easy to use. (There is a great informational page on using spaghetti squash over at Chew The World.)
I also added in some fresh almond ricotta cheese – Kite Hill is a great brand but you can also make your own – here’s a good recipe. For an extra boost of nutrition, we added some collard greens and spinach. This makes about 6 servings
1 lb ground beef, bison or turkey
1/2 tsp fennel seeds
1/4 tsp ground coriander
1/4 tsp basil
1/4 tsp oregano
8 oz ricotta cheese
2 cups collard greens (or Almond cheese)
1 cup spinach
1 onion, sliced
1 garlic clove, minced
2 roma tomatoes, thinly sliced
1 cup pasta sauce
1 cup dairy-free shredded cheese, optional
1 spaghetti squash, cooked and strands removed
- In a large bowl, combine ground bison, fennel, coriander, basil and oregano. Mix and form into 1-2″ meat balls.
- Place meatballs in a large skillet with about 1 Tbsp oil.
- Cook on each side for about 8-10 minutes or until cooked through.
- Place spaghetti squash strands in a greased 9×9 baking dish. Mix in collard greens, onions and garlic. Top mixture with meatballs. Top meatballs with tomato slices and shredded cheese. Pour over pasta sauce.
- Bake at 350F for about 30 minutes.