I’ve already posted a few versions of biscuits and gravy recipes on my website but sometimes you can improve, or even create a different version. This is a little of both. This version of biscuits and gravy features coconut free flour. It uses cassava flour instead! Cassava flour is easy to use. It has more similar characteristics to wheat than most flours yet it is still gluten and grain free. It does have a slightly different texture than most flours. The biscuits are great with some melted ghee or jam but are heavenly with this delicious, dairy free gravy.
Gravy can be also be a tricky thing to master. Lucky for us, Olivia over at My King Cook has created a great post with wonderful tips on making different kinds of gravy. Plus, there are so many great recipes! Check it out here!
1/2 cup almond flour
1/4 cup arrowroot starch
1/4 cup cassava flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 cup palm shortening or butter
1/2 tsp sea salt
1/4 cup almond or coconut milk
1/2 lb sausage
1 Tbsp coconut oil or olive oil
2 Tbsp arrowroot starch
1 cup coconut milk (or almond)
1 tsp sea salt
1 tsp sage
1/2 tsp black pepper
- In mixing bowl, combine almond flour, arrowroot starch, cassava flour, baking powder and salt.
- Cut in shortening until you get coarse crumbles. Slowly add in milk until dough forms. Form into about 8 biscuits.
- Bake at 375F for about 15-20 minutes or until cooked through.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in large skillet. Add in sausage, crumble and brown for about 10 minutes or until completely cooked through.
- Sprinkle over arrowroot starch and stir until mixture is like a thick paste. Sprinkle over salt, pepper and sage.
- Slowly pour in milk and bring to a simmer over low heat, stirring constantly. Mixture should start to thicken.
- Once it does, turn off heat and let rest. Pour warm gravy over hot biscuits and serve.
*To use a different flour combination: use about 1 cup of your favorite all purpose flour blend.*
*You can find cassava flour online!*