I got the idea for this burger from a TV commercial for Braum’s. If you don’t know of Braum’s, it is a fast food restaurant, featuring amazingly creamy (and not so healthy) ice cream. They also serve burgers, fries, strips, breakfast, etc and have a small grocery type store (milks, ice cream, etc). Anyway, sometimes they feature a California Burger – which is basically their burgers with avocados. I liked the idea, but I didn’t stop at avocados. Oh no, why stop there when you can add even more great flavor?! I kept going with some chipotle mayo, tomatillos, pineapple, bell pepper and even mango! Results? The best burger I’ve eaten! And we eat a lot of burgers! Makes 4 servings
1/2 pound ground turkey
1/2 pound ground bison or venison
1 tsp sea salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp chili powder
4 tomatillos, sliced
1 tsp coconut oil
1 avocado, thinly sliced
1 mango, thinly sliced and peeled
1 pineapple, cored and cut into thinly sliced strips
1 bell pepper, seeded and thinly sliced
4 cups mixed, torn greens (kale, spinach, romaine, etc.)
1/3 cup mayonnaise
1 tsp vinegar (apple cider or balsamic, whatever)
1 tsp olive oil
1 tsp chipotle powder
- In a mixing bowl, combine ground turkey, bison (or venison), salt, pepper, cumin and chili powder. Form into four burger patties. Grill on each side for about 5-7 minutes or until cooked through.
- Alternatively, you can cook these patties in a skillet if desired.
- Meanwhile, saute tomatillos with coconut oil in a small saucepan for about 6-7 minutes or until slightly soft.
- On a serving plates, place mixed greens. Top with cooked burger and about 1 Tbsp of chipotle mayo (more if desired).
- Layer on tomatillos, pineapple, peppers, avocado and mango.
- This is great served with some steamed veggies. My guess is, you won’t even miss the bun 🙂