This recipe is a really good variation to traditional truffle recipes that is gluten, dairy, soy and nut free with a tart, savory flavor. The centers are so light and fluffy. These would be great coated in chocolate also but I liked the cocoa/sugar dusting on the outside. Makes about 30 truffles
1 pkg of chocolate chips (I used Enjoy Life brand)
1 can coconut milk (or 1 cup whipping cream for dairy version)
1 tsp lemon juice and zest
1 tsp fresh lavender, finely chopped
1 tsp vanilla
½ cup powdered sugar
1 Tbsp unsweetened cocoa
1 tsp lavender, finely chopped
- In a saucepan, melt chocolate chips.
- While chocolate is melting, open your can of coconut milk. The coconut cream rises to the top while the liquid settles at the bottom. You want about ½ cup of the coconut cream and ¼ cup of the coconut milk liquid (save the rest for another recipe).
- Once chips are melted, blend in coconut milk and cream, lemon juice and zest, lavender and vanilla using a mixer over medium speed. Blend for about 5 minutes or until mixture is smooth.
- Chill in bowl for about 30 minutes. Spoon teaspoons of mixture onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and chill for another 30 minutes.
- Once truffles have hardened, roll into smooth balls. In a small bowl, combine coating mixture. Roll truffle balls into coating mix until covered. Keep refrigerated in a sealed container.