You know those baked, one-dish meals that feature beef and veggies topped with biscuits? Or a baked version of chicken and dumplings? This recipe is just like those, only Italian style! I love the comforting flavors of a baked meal topped with a crust or biscuit. This dish features a great tomato sauce with traditional Italian spices. It’s hearty, healthy and so delicious! Makes 4 servings
1 lb ground beef, bison, turkey or chicken
1 Tbsp coconut oil or olive oil
1 cup carrots, diced
1/2 cup tomatoes, diced
1/2 cup celery, diced
2 cups spinach, chopped
1/4 cup onion, diced
2 cups tomato puree or sauce
1 tsp garlic, minced
1 tsp basil
1 tsp sea salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp oregano
1/2 tsp thyme
1 cup almond flour
1/4 cup coconut flour
1/4 cup arrowroot starch
1/4 cup cheese or nutritional yeast (optional)
1/3 cup coconut oil or palm shortening
1/2 tsp sea salt
1/2 cup coconut milk
1/4 tsp basil
- In a large skillet, brown ground meat in coconut oil. Cook over medium heat for about 10 minutes or until cooked through.
- In a greased, 2-3 quart casserole dish, place meat, carrots, tomatoes, celery, spinach and onion.
- In a small bowl, combine tomato puree, garlic, basil, salt, pepper, oregano and thyme. Stir sauce mixture until well blended and pour over meat mixture.
- In a medium bowl, combine almond flour, coconut flour, arrowroot starch, salt, basil and cheese (if using).
- Cut in coconut oil or palm shortening until mixture resembles a coarse crumble.
- Slowly add in milk until just combined. Add more milk if dough is too dry.
- Form dough into little balls and place on top of meat and vegetable mixture.
- Bake at 350F for about 20 minutes or until biscuits have started to brown.