My mom makes the best Italian Cream Cake. It is so moist and full of coconut and pecans with a delicious cream cheese frosting. My older brother and mom share a birthday and it was this past weekend. To celebrate, I made them lunch and served a modified, gluten free version of her favorite cake. While this recipe is gluten free, it is not Paleo friendly (although could be fairly easily) and it does include cane sugar. There are many replacement options if that’s an issue for you! This is a great cake to make for any holiday. Makes about 10-12 servings
2/3 cup palm shortening, butter or coconut oil
1 cup applesauce
1/2 cup honey
1/2 cup coconut sugar (or brown sugar)
5 eggs, separated
2 cups all purpose gluten free flour (or other flours)
1 tsp baking soda
1 cup almond milk + 1 tsp lemon juice
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup coconut flakes
1/2 cup chopped pecans
Cream Cheese Frosting
1 8oz pkg of cream cheese, softened
2 Tbsp coconut oil, melted
2 cups powdered sugar (more if necessary)
- In a large mixing bowl, cream together palm shortening (or butter) and sugar until smooth. Add in egg yolks and beat well.
- Combine flour, soda, milk, lemon juice and vanilla. Gently mix in half of the pecans and coconut flakes.
- In a separate bowl, beat egg whites until light and fluffy. Fold into cake batter.
- Pour into two greased cake pans. Bake at 350F for about 25-30 minutes or until cooked through.
- Remove cakes from oven and let cool for about 10 minutes. Carefully remove cake from pans and place on wire racks to cool completely.
- Meanwhile, in a mixing bowl using the whisk attachment, blend frosting ingredients until smooth and whipped (about 2 minutes).
- Place one cake onto a serving dish and spread a thin layer of frosting. Top with remaining cake and frost top and sides. Sprinkle top with remaining coconut and pecans.