I’ve heard so much about making your own almond milk, coconut milk, etc. I was a little leery because 1.) I thought it would taste bad, 2.) I thought it would be too time consuming, 3.) I couldn’t figure out why I would make it when it was fairly cheap to buy. I decided to give it a try anyway and it was SO easy, tastes great and doesn’t cost as much as you’d think! What I also love about it is that there are 2 ingredients… almonds and water. No fillers, preservatives, etc. This recipe makes about 4-5 cups of milk
1 cup raw almonds
4 cups filtered water
Optional: 2-4 dates for slight sweetness, vanilla extract for flavor
- In a bowl, place almonds and cover with water. Let almonds soak overnight or for at least 6-8 hours. If you are using dates, let the dates soak overnight also.
- After soaking, rinse almonds thoroughly to remove and dirt or sediment.
- Place rinsed almonds (and date if using) in a high speed blender. Pour in 4 cups of filtered water.
- Blend on high for about 2 minutes.
- Using a nut milk bag or just a fine mesh strainer, remove almond pulp.
- Reserve almond pulp for other uses – crackers, granola, N’oatmeal (see recipe here!).
- Store almond milk in fridge for about 5-7 days in a sealed container.