Hello all –
I’m so very excited to share with you a guest post from Louise at PaleoMagazine.com. I’m sure you will love this recipe! Louise just released her new cookbook, Essential Paleo Cookbook that features great recipes. I purchased the digital version (which comes with TONS of bonuses also!) and I love it. You can find recipes for Creamy Breakfast Porridge, Chicken Kiev, Fish Sticks, Cinnamon Sugar Pretzel Bites, etc. Louise and her husband, Jeremy, have really taken Paleo recipes to a new level. The recipes you can find in this book are delicious, easy to make and replicate traditional favorites. To see more info or purchase the book yourself, click here!
One of the last foods I gave up when I went Paleo was cheese. My husband and I both loved cheese, and I’d guess that almost half of our dishes contained cheese of some sort.
We used to make these bacon-wrapped dates with blue cheese, but now that we don’t eat cheese any longer, we had to find a new way to make this recipe. (We didn’t really NEED to find a Paleo way to make it, but we just couldn’t resist).
You wouldn’t imagine it, but the cashews actually turn out quite well as a substitute for cheese. I certainly never imagined it would turn out this well.
The only problem with this recipe is that 16 dates probably won’t last very long for you.
Bacon Wrapped Dates Stuffed with Cashew ‘Cheese’
Prep Time: 15 minutes (however, cashews should ideally be soaked overnight before using)
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 45 minutes
Yield: 4 servings
Serving Size: 4 dates
- 16 pitted dates (small) (scale up the cashew and coconut oil amounts for larger dates)
- 8 slices of thinly sliced bacon (cut each slice in half to create 16 shorter slices)
- 1/2 cup (60 g) raw cashews, soaked overnight (omit for AIP)
- 1 Tablespoon (15 ml) coconut oil
- 1/2 cup (118 ml) water
- Place the raw cashews into a bowl of room temperature water so that it covers the cashews, drape a paper towel or tea towel over the bowl to prevent dust settling, and soak overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350 F (177 C).
- Place the soaked cashews, 1/2 cup fresh water, and coconut oil into a blender and blend until smooth.
- Slice each date along one side so that it opens up and fill each date with the cashew ‘cheese’ and close it up. Wrap one of the half-slices of bacon around the date and place on baking tray with sides (as the fat from the bacon tends to run).
- Bake for 20 minutes before flipping the bacon-wrapped dates over (with tongs).
- Bake for another 10 minutes (i.e. for a total of 30 minutes).
About Louise Hendon
Louise is the co-founder of PaleoMagazine.com and author of the Essential Paleo Cookbook. Apart from cooking a little too often, she really loves hiking and playing with her Shih Tzu named Karma.