Short-cut Saturday: Pre-cut Veggies
One of our favorite chain restaurants in our small area was Applebee’s. It was one of the few places with friendly staff, reasonable prices and decent food. My favorite dish there was the Oriental Chicken Salad – the creamy dressing, crisp chicken and fresh greens were amazing! I always thought I was choosing a healthy choice – but that salad dish contains over 1300 calories! WHAT?! This version is MUCH lighter, cheaper and healthier. It features a tasty dressing, grilled chicken and a variety of crispy vegetables for the salad base. What I love about this is that you can simply use pre-cut and pre-packaged vegetables to save time. Grab a bag of slaw mix, salad greens, etc. Oh, and this dressing is AMAZING! It makes a great dipping sauce too! Makes about 2 LARGE servings
2 chicken breasts
1/4 cup Sesame Dressing (or other of choice)
1/2 tsp sea salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
1 blood orange, sliced
2 cups mixed salad greens
2 cups cabbage, shredded
1 cup shredded carrots
1/4 cup green onions, diced
1/4 cup chopped almonds
1/3 cup mayonnaise
3 Tbsp honey
1 tsp rice vinegar
1 tsp sesame oil
3 Tbsp dijon mustard
1/4 tsp chili powder
- In a bowl, combine chicken, dressing, salt and pepper. Let chicken marinade about 20 minutes.
- Place chicken breasts on a hot grill and cook for about 8-10 minutes on each side or until cooked through.
- Place slices of blood orange on chicken breasts after turning.
- Place mixture of greens, cabbage and onions on serving dishes.
- Top with slices of grilled chicken and almonds.
- In a small bowl, whisk together mayo, honey, vinegar, sesame oil, mustard and chili powder.
- Drizzle dressing over dish and serve.