These are the ultimate kid breakfast treat. I love making cinnamon rolls – even if they are a lot of work. This isn’t a recipe that will save you time but save it for a weekend morning. To make this gluten-free, make your favorite flour blend or buy one – Bob’s Red Mill All-Purpose Flour is a great blend. (any all-purpose blend will work). My family loves cinnamon rolls but these twists make their favorite even better. They are really easy to make but look fantastic. Keep this recipe around for Christmas morning! Makes about 10 servings
1 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 Tbsp xanthan gum (omit if not using GF flours)
1/2 tsp sea salt
1/4 cup sugar (stevia, organic cane, etc)
1 pkt active dry yeast
1/4 cup applesauce
1/2 cup water, warm
2 Tbsp oil (or butter, coconut), melted
3/4 cup milk, warm (almond, cow, soy, rice)
1 tsp vanilla
1 Tbsp oil, melted (coconut)
1/4 cup brown sugar (or coconut sugar)
1 Tbsp cinnamon
1 cup powdered sugar
3 tsp milk (almond, cow, soy, rice)
1/2 tsp vanilla
- In a large mixing bowl, combine dry ingredients.
- In a small bowl, combine yeast, water and milk and let set for about five minutes.
- Add egg, applesauce, oil and vanilla to yeast mixture. Start mixing dry ingredients on medium speed and slowly add in liquid ingredients. Mix for about 2 minutes.
- On a lightly floured surface, pour out dough. Sprinkle a small amount of flour onto dough to keep it from being sticky. Roll out into a large rectangle about 1/4″ thick.
- Drizzle coconut oil over dough and sprinkle with brown sugar and cinnamon. Tightly roll up dough lengthwise to get a long log. Cut into about 1/2″ rolls.
- Unroll each roll and carefully twist dough. Place dough twists onto a greased baking dish, preferably a 9×13 cake pan.
- Cover pan with a towel and let rise for about 30 minutes. Bake at 350F for about 20 minutes or until slightly brown.
- Meanwhile, combine icing ingredients and whisk until smooth. Remove rolls from oven and let cool about 10 minutes. Drizzle with icing and serve.
**NOTE: Make the twists the night before and let rise overnight. Bake as normal in the morning when you are ready!**