I’m sure most of us have been there – or maybe still at that point. That point in your life when convenience foods trump healthy foods. I’ve eaten a few Hot Pockets in my day and this recipe is a re-do, healthified version. The filling ingredients are practically endless. I stuck to a tasty, easy version to fit our taste buds but I’ve also included several other options at the end of this post. Makes 4 servings
1 cup GF all purpose flour blend (or this Paleo blend)
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp garlic, minced
1/4 cup palm shortening or butter
1/4 cup almond, coconut or cow’s milk
1 cup chicken, cooked and shredded
2 cups spinach
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 cup cheese, shredded (optional)
1 tsp basil or Italian seasonings
- In a mixing bowl, combine flour, baking powder and salt.
- Cut in palm shortening until mix is crumbly.
- Slowly add in milk until dough ball forms. Add more milk if dough is too dry – it should form together easily.
- Divide dough into four pieces. Roll each piece out into a thin rectangle.
- Meanwhile, saute spinach in olive oil over medium heat until soft. Add in chicken and seasonings.
- Add 1/4 of the filling mixture into the middle of a dough circle. Top with 1/4 cup shredded cheese.
- Carefully fold crust around filling and seal edges (use water to help if necessary).
- Repeat with remaining dough and filling.
- Bake on a greased baking sheet at 375F for about 15 minutes.