What do you do if you don’t drink coffee, can’t have dairy and don’t use added sweeteners much?? You make this drink. However, if you just want a bold, low caffeine, warm and spicy drink, this hits the spot too! I love the bold taste of ground cacao beans. Crio Bru makes several different varieties of their cacao blends. I have yet to find one I didn’t like. Dandelion root also has several beneficial properties. It is said to help with digestion, inflammation, joint pain, etc. It has a taste very similar to coffee. You can find it at Tropical Traditions or Amazon – most health food stores also have it. To give it a “latte” taste, I quickly whipped up so coconut cream to top the drink. Makes 2 servings
2 cups hot water
2 Tbsp ground cacao beans (I used Crio Bru Maya)
2 bags of Dandelion Root Tea
Dash of cayenne pepper
Dash of cinnamon
1 can coconut milk, just thick cream
1 tsp raw honey
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp vanilla extract
- In a french press, add water, cacao beans, contents from tea bags, cayenne and cinnamon.
- Let steep about 10 minutes. Press to remove beans and pour into mugs.
- Alternatively, you can heat water in a saucepan. Add in drink ingredients, then strain liquid into mugs.
- Meanwhile, add coconut cream, honey, cinnamon and vanilla to a mixing bowl.
- Using the whisk attachment, beat on high speed for about a minute or until mixture is whipped.
- Spoon a dollop into mug of hot cacao mixture.