These are just beautiful… and they taste AMAZING too! What’s even better? They are Paleo friendly, gluten free, grain free, dairy free, egg free with no artificial sweeteners or food coloring. They are the cleanest cinnamon rolls I’ve made to date and I’ve made a lot of cinnamon rolls. These are great for any time of year, but that pretty fuchsia color makes these great Valentine’s breakfast rolls. Plus, the added dark chocolate drizzle makes these even sweeter! Makes about 12-15 cinnamon rolls
1 1/2 cup almond flour * see note below*
1/2 cup coconut flour
1 cup arrowroot starch
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 cups almond milk
1 tsp apple cider vinegar
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/3 cup palm shortening or coconut oil
1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
3 Tbsp cinnamon
1/4 cup honey
Berry Glaze *see note 2 below*
1/4 cup coconut cream concentrate
5 strawberries, hulled
2-3 Tbsp beet juice (adjust depending on color preference)
1 Tbsp raw honey
1/4 cup cocoa powder
1 Tbsp coconut oil
1 tsp raw honey
- In a mixing bowl, combine almond flour, coconut flour, arrowroot starch, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Add in shortening or coconut oil and mix until dough becomes crumbly.
- Pour in vinegar, milk and vanilla. Stir until combined and dough ball starts to form.
- Place a large piece of wax paper on counter and dust lightly with almond flour or arrowroot starch. Place dough onto wax paper and sprinkle additional arrowroot powder or flour on top.
- Using a rolling pin, carefully roll out dough into a large 1/4″ rectangle.
- In a small bowl, stir together honey and coconut oil for filling. Spread oil mixture evenly over dough and sprinkle with cinnamon.
- Carefully roll up dough into a log – you can use the wax paper to help if dough is very fragile. Quickly slice dough into about 1″ rolls and place in a greased baking pan.
- Bake at 375F for about 25-30 minutes or until rolls are starting to brown. Remove from oven and let cool about 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine berry glaze ingredients in a small blender and blend until very smooth. Add more beet juice for a darker color.
- In a small bowl, combine chocolate drizzle ingredients and stir until smooth.
- Pour berry glaze over cooled rolls and top with chocolate drizzle. Store any leftovers in a sealed container.
*To use other flours: I suggest using about 2 1/2-3 cups of all purpose flour. Use your favorite gluten free flour blend or traditional wheat flours. You may just need to adjust the amount of flour to blend with the liquids.
**To make a cream cheese berry glaze: use about 4 ounces of cream cheese, softened. Add in a little powdered sugar (about 1 cup), berries and beet juice. Blend or whisk until smooth.*