Meatloaf is one of those delicious comfort foods. After being a wonderful taste tester of some “girlier” recipes, I decided my husband need a “manly” meal. This recipe is very tasty and has a bold, smoky bite. Topped with some sweet and spicy BBQ sauce, the whole fam will love it! Plus, it’s made with some sneaky veggies for those picky eaters! Makes about 4 servings
1 tsp coconut oil (for greasing pan))
1 lb ground bison (or beef, turkey, chicken, etc)
1 egg (or flax egg: 1 Tbsp flax seed + 3 Tbsp warm water)
1 Tbsp garlic, minced
1/4 cup onion, diced
1/2 cup pumpkin puree
2 medium carrots, finely shredded
1 tsp chili powder
1 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/4 tsp chipotle powder
1 cup BBQ sauce (I used Tessemae’s – get it here!)
- Preheat oven to 375F and oil a loaf pan or casserole dish.
- In a large bowl, combine all ingredients except BBQ sauce. Mix together with hands until ingredients are well combined.
- Place meat mixture into greased baking dish and form into a loaf.
- Bake for about 25 minutes. Remove from oven and spread bbq sauce over top.
- Return to oven and baking for an additional 15-25 minutes or until meat is completely cooked through.
- Remove from oven and let cool about 10 minutes. Serve with a side salad and some roasted fingerling potatoes!