I know what you are thinking… asparagus soup?? It may not sound tasty and it sure doesn’t look tasty but let me tell you – it tastes great! This has a great blend of spices and the pan seared asparagus really adds extra flavor. I left a few asparagus spear pieces whole to add a bit of texture to the soup. The shiitake mushrooms really go well with the soup flavors also. Go ahead – give it a try! Makes 4 servings
½ lb asparagus spears, chopped into 2 inch pieces
½ cup shiitake or portabella mushrooms, diced
1 Tbsp olive oil
4 cups vegetable or chicken broth
1 tsp garlic, minced
½ tsp bay leaves
½ tsp black pepper
½ tsp sea salt
¼ tsp thyme
- In a large skillet, combine the asparagus spear tips, mushrooms, olive oil and garlic. Cook over medium heat for about 10 minutes until crisp tender.
- While vegetables are cooking, combine remaining asparagus spear pieces, broth, bay leaves, black pepper, salt and thyme in a sauce pan.
- Bring to boiling and cook for about 15 minutes or until asparagus is soft.
- Add in about half of the pan cooked asparagus spears to the saucepan mixture.
- Using an immersion blender, gently puree the soup mix.
- Ladle into bowls and top with the remaining asparagus spears.