Here’s another short cut recipe for you. I would prefer to make everything we eat from scratch. However, sometimes our busy schedules don’t allow this and we just need a little help. I don’t like using mixes all of the time but I will use them if I can find one that I really like. I found this boxed bread mix at Whole Foods. I just did some of my own modifications to get my desired results. Gluten free breads are still a challenge for me. You have to get the combination so flours just right – and when I was craving this bread, I did not have time for trial and error. I really think the key to this bread is the tomatoes and onions on top. It just gives it a good extra flavor plus it looks pretty! Makes one 9” round loaf.
1 box Chebe focaccia bread mix
2 large eggs
¼ cup olive oil
¼ cup almond milk
1 cup shredded cheese (if desired – Provolone and mozzarella work great!)
1 large tomato, thinly sliced
½ onion, thinly sliced
1 tsp olive oil
½ tsp sea salt
½ tsp black pepper
- In a large mixing bowl, combine bread mix, eggs, olive oil and cheese if desired.
- Slowly add in milk. The dough mixture will be very thick and hard to work with. I’ve found using your hands is best. Knead the dough 6-7 times until ingredients are well combined.
- In a greased 9” pie pan, spread dough out. It will be thin in the pan but will rise during baking.
- Top dough with sliced tomatoes and onions. Sprinkle with sea salt and pepper and then drizzle with 1 tsp olive oil.
- Bake at 375°F for about 35-45 minutes or until bread is cooked through in the middle. Let cool about 10 minutes before serving.