I recently got one of those little mini sandwich makers. It’s basically like a George Foreman only for sandwiches. It makes really good grilled cheese but I thought we’d try some French toast in it. It works perfectly. Like so perfect that I probably won’t make French toast any other way for a while. It gets the toast perfectly crisp throughout and the possibilities for stuffing the toast are almost endless. I really liked the plain strawberry-banana stuffed version. The strawberries gave it a little tartness but the bananas helped sweetened the whole thing up. Top these little sandwiches with some maple syrup or powdered sugar. This recipe is very adaptable to make it not gluten-free (just swap the bread out for regular). Makes 2 sandwiches.
4 slices of GF bread (I like Udi’s Millet-Chia Bread)
½ cup almond milk
½ tsp vanilla
1 tsp cinnamon
¼ cup diced strawberries
¼ cup diced bananas
maple syrup, if desired
powdered sugar, if desired
- In a small bowl, combine egg, almond milk, vanilla and cinnamon. Blend until well combined.
- Dip each bread slice into egg mixture and place two slices inside the sandwich maker.
- Top these with the diced strawberries and bananas, then top with the remaining slices of dipped bread.
- Close the sandwich maker and let cook until finished.
- Serve with syrup and powdered sugar if desired.