Spaghetti squash is a pretty simple, delicious and nutritious food to prepare. It can be made in a number of ways and used in so many recipes! My friends over at Chew The World created a great post on how to prepare it and share several recipes! Check out their page here!
Lately I have made plenty of spaghetti squash recipes using regular tomato sauce. I really needed to change it up a bit and try it a different way. I love creamy pasta sauces, like Alfredo or Primavera. This is kind of a mix of those. I added a few extra veggies to give it an extra boost of nutrition. Feel free to have seconds or thirds of this dish as there is no need to feel guilty. There is a minimal amount of carbs, low fat, no gluten, full of veggies, etc. Makes 4-6 servings
1 large spaghetti squash, cooked (see tip below)
½ cup cooked carrots, diced
½ cup cooked green beans, chopped
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 tsp minced garlic
1 tsp sea salt
1 tsp black pepper
½ tsp basil
1 Tbsp GF all purpose flour
1 cup unsweetened almond milk
½ cup shredded cheese (I used dairy free mozzarella flavor)
¼ cup shredded cheese (optional)
¼ cup GF bread crumbs (optional)
1 tsp parsley
- In a saucepan, combine olive oil, garlic, sea salt, black pepper and basil. Saute over medium heat for about 5 minutes.
- Add in flour until you have a nice thick paste (use more or less flour to get to paste consistency).
- Add in almond milk slowly and stir until combined. Bring milk mixture to boil, stirring constantly.
- Add in ½ cup shredded cheese. The sauce should thicken as it cooks. You can add more milk if desired to get a thinner sauce.
- Turn heat over sauce to low and combine squash, carrots and green beans in a 2 qt baking dish. Pour sauce over vegetables.
- Top with remaining shredded cheese and sprinkle bread crumbs and parsley evenly over top of dish.
- Bake at 375°F for about 20 minutes.
TIP: To cook spaghetti squash, cut in half lengthwise and scoop out seeds. Pierce shell with a knife in several places and place cut side down in a baking dish. Add about ¼ cup water to dish with squash and bake, covered at 350°F for about 45 minutes or until shell is soft. You can also steam the squash in the microwave for about 10 minutes. Scrape out sides and bottom of squash with a fork to get the spaghetti strands.