Think of this like Chex Mix – popcorn style, drowned in peanut butter. It’s fantastic. This would make a perfect homemade holiday treat to give a loved one or neighbor. Throw it in a cutesy container, slap on a bow and you’ve got yourself a wonderful, tasty, thoughtful gift! Makes about 5 cups of mix
3 cups popped plain popcorn
1 cup rice cereal (like Chex – any flavor will work)
¼ cup chopped nuts (I used almonds)
½ cup oats, toasted (heat them in a greased skillet)
½ cup coconut flakes, toasted (heat them in a greased skillet)
1 cup all natural peanut butter (other nut or seed butters will work also)
¼ cup honey
¼ cup sugar or stevia
½ cup butter or coconut oil
- In a large saucepan, melt peanut butter, honey, sugar and butter/oil until melted and smooth.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine popcorn, cereal, nuts, oats and coconut flakes.
- Drizzle peanut butter mixture over popcorn mix and stir until mix is coated with peanut butter sauce.
- Spread evenly over a large baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Bake at 250°F for about 10 minutes. Remove from oven and let set for about an hour. Break apart and put into sealed containers.