This recipe is one for the record books. I’m not kidding when I say I am really proud of this dish. One of my favorite, Sunday dinner recipes at my mother’s was her Pot Roast with Potatoes and Carrots. The roast was always cooked to perfection and her homemade gravy was wonderful. She typically used a pork roast which held moisture very well. For my version, I decided to go with a venison roast actually – but use whatever meat roast you prefer. In addition, I changed up the seasonings and flavors a bit by using balsamic vinegar. Another switch I made was to use the slow cooker instead of the oven. This dish is so easy and will impress your guests! Serve this as a holiday meal too! Makes about 8 servings
2-3 lb roast (venison, beef, pork)
1 Tbsp coconut oil or olive oil
1 tsp sea salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
2 cups beef, chicken or vegetable stock
1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
2 bay leaves
1 Tbsp ground sage
1 tsp thyme
1 onion, sliced
1 tsp garlic, minced
1 cup carrots, chopped
2 potatoes, cut into large chunks
1 cup parsnips, chopped
1/3 cup arrowroot starch (or 1/4 cup corn starch)
Parsley, for garnish
- In a large skillet, heat coconut oil. Place whole roast into hot skillet and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Brown roast on each side for about 5 minutes.
- Place roast in a slow cooker with carrots, potatoes, parsnips, garlic and onion. Add in stock, vinegars, bay leaves, sage and thyme.
- Cook over low heat for about 6 hours. W
- hen roast is done cooking, remove about 1 1/2 cups of liquid and put in a small saucepan. Add in starch and whisk until smooth. Bring to a low boil and remove from heat.
- Place gravy sauce into a serving dish. Remove roast from slow cooker and cut or shred as desired. Serve with gravy and vegetables. Top with parsley if desired.